Because we believe that transformation occurs when you educate and support the whole woman, we know just how vital it is for women with disabilities in Sierra Leone to be empowered economically by working and providing for their families financially. This is an extra challenge for women with disabilities who have often been kept from school, and are frequently viewed by society as dirty and “troublesome.”
This is why the Empowerment Grants for Women program was born– to provide women with real opportunities to start businesses and empower themselves, their families, and their communities.
To qualify for an empowerment grant, women must:
- Be active participants in other Women of Hope trainings and programs
- Attend a workshop on creating a solid business plan and managing money
- Fill out an application form outlining their business plans, sustainability model, and projected profit (usually with help from our staff)
- Have the courage to see themselves as more then beggars, and do the hard, but dignified work, of earning income for themselves!
Women who are awarded grants:
- Receive a start-up grant to begin their business venture
- Attend monthly meetings with our staff for monitoring, evaluation and support
- Continue to participate in Women of Hope activities and programs
- Give back to the community in some way
The Economic Empowerment Grants (EEGs) provide a unique opportunity for donors to personally come alongside one woman in her journey to financial sustainability. By providing a gift of $500, you can fund a grant, and support one woman for the first few months of her new venture. We will send you the name and picture of the woman (or group of women, if it is a cooperative project) that you are funding, so that you can pray for her as well.